Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Take a look at Gary Ball's blog post. it is a comment on another person's blog, but his commentary is insightful for us "techies":
http://insidegaryb.blogspot.com/2007/11/keeping-little-red-riding-hood-from-big.html
What a wonderful post! I totally agree. I agree that it would work well with your own children. I also agree with knowing that corporate emails and web history is never fully hidden and can be viewed by practically anyone, so it is a good thing to be conscience of what your putting out there.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Priscilla,

    Yes, I really like facebook - I keep in touch with family - I have several nieces (one in China) and it allows to keep in touch. My nieces don't allow me access to their wall so I don't see what their friends post - which is probably a good thing!

    I do believe that we need to model for our students how to behave in digital environments. If we are not there how can we do so?

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is wonderful for more personal use, but in my experiences it is difficult to keep a website such as Facebook unblocked in a school setting. Students are constantly on Facebook and not working on their assignments. It has become an issue and these issues have outweighed the benefits in my computer classes, and any other class I have students logged into computers! It is too hard to monitor their actions and keep the distractions to a minimum with it unblocked. Don't get me wrong, I use myself but I think it is a website better left at home. If you need a "social-type" web idea then use google docs or some other form available. Facebook is getting too big to be harnessed at the school level I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla,
    Thanks for the link, but I think I need to clear something up. Most of the information is a link to CoolCatTeacher's blog. Thanks for the credit but I really only did what any good teacher does - beg, borrow, and steal.

    ReplyDelete