Friday, May 14, 2010

Classrooms and Technology Use

My classrooms is quite small. I find myself wanting it bigger every time I need to use technology. Why is it that whenever I need to use something that is supposed to help me gain a bigger perspective, I need a bigger classroom? Ok, maybe it is just the set up, but I am constantly changing stuff around to make things like plug-ins more accessible for my technology. My desk needs to be moved, always closer to the outlet just like when I want to watch something using my projector and I have to move a minimum of 3 desks each time, just to get it in a spot that works to fit on my board (and reach a plug in)!


Maybe this is just a rant, but why can't there be more money for schools to be properly set up to use this technology that they are pushing on us. It's not like I hate the technology - because I don't - I absolutely love being able to use a projector, speakers and computers in my classroom on a daily basis! But, the problem lies in how the classrooms themselves are set up. Having cords laying on the floor all the time is not really ideal, and neither is having to move desks every time you want to show a video. I know my projector is in the works to hang from the ceiling, but who knows how long that could take? It doesn't exactly fix the speaker problem, or my computer cord problem! Maybe this problem is specific only to me, but I want to know how small schools deal with these sorts of issues. Do we get left in the dust and only receive attention once the large centers are in superb shape? I don't know the answer, but it is a concern that could become a real problem once more teachers start using these tools in their classrooms and need the access available for every class period. My frustrating rant is now done, but I want to post a question to all you listeners out there...When technology use in a classroom becomes a hindrance, and stops you from wanting to use the technology because of the issues you always encounter, is it all because of human error (how an individual approaches the problem), or something entirely different?

3 comments:

  1. Some of it was because of human error. Our school computer lab was redone a couple of years ago. The physical space is all wrong. It looks pretty but it is difficult to teach in there. Completely human error.

    Other things are just poor planning. Schools are built and renovated based upon what we need right now and what fits into the 5 year plan. Unfortunately technology needs can easily change within 5 years while school renovations don't happen nearly as fast.

    Do you know what you will need 5 years from now? I can only guess but don't count on me being right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The 5 year plan is no longer sufficient. I know my "future goggles" do not see very far either, so I guess the best plan is to just hope that renovations are for the best at the time, and deal with the layout issues when they arise. We'll never know what's best until we reach a point where needing change stops, and we know that the day for no more change will not be coming any time soon!

    I am thinking this whole scenario means we just need to be more creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the biggest complaint about my "technology infused" classroom. I just want a wireless world so that we are not tripping over cords when you enter my room.

    ReplyDelete