Monday, November 08, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - my novel study website. Check it out and let me know what you think! I created it to have a paperless novel study. This is my second year teaching the novel like this and it went well last time. I updated some information, included more information, and fixed some of the formatting. I have the students complete the vocab before reading then we discuss the vocab, they read then answer questions from the site. Once they are done a section of questions the students email them to me and I edit/correct them using highlighting and notes and send it back to them for review. We host daily class discussion before they go on the computer and begin their assignment. I also included essay topics and a final project. The only thing not on there is the exams. I am excited to be doing this again and to be honest - it took me a while to build it to my liking (not perfect yet), but for a bit of perfectionist this was a really nice way to keep everything together and use an innovative way to spice up my teaching load. If I had more time I would attempt this for all my novel studies....maybe I will....I need some feedback - let me know what you think of it.
http://www.wix.com/pfjeldstrom/tkam--stratton

Free website - Powered By Wix.com

2 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. It looks very professional.

    Have you considered having students use an online word processor? Just a question.

    I know Donna will be passing this on!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pcone!
    Thanks for dropping in and commenting. Great to hear from you! I haven't really thought about using an online word processor - I guess that would work. I just want to make sure that my students are able to get full access to their documents for studying purposes. I am not sure if an online word processor can allow for the type of commenting from me and returning to them that I use - not sure but something I should look into. That way it's true that they can do it from anywhere. I just use our school email system where I can chat with them while they work if I am not there or in the room with them - if they need help.
    Thanks for the comment - I appreciate your input!

    ReplyDelete