Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What inspired me today...

Relating to what some other bloggers are posting about...

I was watching my students do research on famous philosophers for a History 10 research report today and again am amazed at some students abilities to show me just how valid Internet tools can be in a classroom.

I walked over to a students computer to see that he was watching a video on youtube.com. Here was my moment - my chance to discuss proper use of youtube to the class - when I noticed that he was not watching junk! He was watching a project that other students his age have done; a "Interview with Dead People: Thomas Hobbes" video. In which the students in the video were portraying the philosopher Thomas Hobbes while another student interviewed him (He could have dressed the part - but that is beside the point). I thought to myself - "WOO! PERFECT!" Not only did I get an awesome idea that becomes cross-curricular for my CPT and History course, but I have a new fun activity for my students!!! It also validaded that student's use of youtube for research. He was checking facts that the students were saying in the video and making sure he did not miss a word. It was gratifying to watch, even though it was not my kids in the video (soon maybe!?).

Here is the video that inspired me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment