Monday, February 25, 2008

Convention and Other

Convention:
Well all I can say is that I enjoyed one day, one session. Brutal I know, but part of it may be my fault and part definitely is not my fault. The part that is mine, is that I should have tried harder to attend the "for sure-ly interested in" sessions, instead of the ones that were where I was all day. The part that was not my fault, is that there were too many sessions, too many locations, and not enough time to take them all in! There were many I seemed interested in, but that were downtown (and I was at Prairieland), or it was backed with another good one, and not offered on a different day. UGH!

I think Mavis can comply with my feelings of UGH because I saw her in attendance at the 'Integrating Technology focusing on digital storytelling and blogging' session. The poor woman presenting had so much trouble it was agonizing to watch! She started out her session telling a packed session, of her issues about 'losing' her PPT presentation the night before; working on it for 4 hours to get it ready for that day. Then, she wanted to show us 5 online video examples of digital storytelling, discuss, etc. But the videos took forever to load, and all she had for speakers was a set of small computer speakers - from audio people at Prairieland, which obviously did not project to the back of the makeshift rooms we had. Needless to say how awful it was to have the Flute session directly to the right of ours going on during this time! Then, she finally got the videos going, got a bigger speaker from the audio guys - only to have it be all crackly! UGH! Ha Ha! Really, by this point in telling my story, all I can do is laugh - instead of cry for her, and this presenters face was flushed, she was obviously frustrated by all the issues she was having, and all the while, people are getting up and leaving! I definitely could not do that to her! I mean who hasn't had a day like that - when nothing works, it all goes wrong and you have tried really hard; who hasn't? So this poor lady trudged on, and finally we ended early and there were only a few handfuls of people left in this session. Quite sad really.

I believe that she was on the right track, that she had some good things to say, maybe not all of them would apply to my classrooms, but the tools were there to adapt to your own needs. I just think that she needed a boost of help, a better session room, some more audio help, and a bit more straight-forward way to state her ideas. It was frustrating to watch, not knowing how to help, and seeing someone struggling with technology. I have been there - I still am there at times!


With our combined knowledge, we are so far ahead! From sharing our ideas, faults, struggles, successes and AHA moments in these blogs, we have allowed a wonderful collaboration opportunity, and unlimited growth. I really enjoy this committee and have learned a lot. It is just difficult, trying to input the new ideas into my classes and programs - easy at times (certain programs/tools), but wanting to give the students the opportunity to try all the cool things that I am is quite a task!

I just wanted to share my convention story and reflect upon all that has happened in the last while. There is more, and I will post more soon - I just needed to start somewhere!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh boy.. Do I ever feel for the poor woman in your convention story - especially since I am delivering a half-day workshop in Prince Albert today!

    Yes, I do agree with your statement about our combined knowledge and I do hope that our sharing will contribute to even greater understanding about technology and learning. We just can't 'go it alone' anymore - our colleagues can be our greatest supports - even from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was an awful story wasn't it!?!? But it definitely shows us how it does not "just happen to me"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I missed that one! On a different note - I still can't get into my e-mail. The page has some 'security' issues. When you have a moment of boredom and nothing to do, will you please look at it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I was at that session too but I sat up front and didn't realize so many people had left. My seat was good even with the technical difficulties. I thought the set-up at Showcase was horrible for most presenters. I went to a music session where he couldn't really do his thing because the retirement session was only a curtain away. I need to find a comment/feedback place for Showcase although I'm sure they have heard it all by now. I thought the session had some excellent ideas regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I felt uncomfortable just reading about your experience! I can imagine that your presenter would have been extremely happy for the day to end. I guess that just goes to show that as much as technology aids in instruction, it's always good to have a backup plan.

    ReplyDelete