Thursday, January 10, 2008

Are we holding ourselves back from inevitable change?

An older post I had made about a you tube video that was about allowing technology to be used more often in the classroom has been brought to my attention again. I agree with my many of the comments made and really appreciate people taking the time to make an account, and make comments on my work.

Technology in the classroom that will always be met with skepticism and wariness. It is understandable but on another hand, how will we ever know how much of an influence we will have on a growing society if we do not allow opportunities to happen? I agree with needing a foundation of the basics - a chance to see, do and learn how we used to do things. I make sure that my drafting students learn mechanical drafting before moving onto computer-aided drafting. If they do not have the foundational skills, know the tools, the reason why we use certain tools, etc. then how will they know when they moved to more advanced technologies? It IS important for people to know the practical uses, the sometimes "old school" ways before. But I do not think it is good to be stuck in the "old school" ways. If that happens, then we are spinning our wheels, not encouraging our students to try new things, not allowing them the opportunities they will obviously need once they graduate. I do not want to sound like a broken record but we really do need to give more types and kinds of technology a chance.

How will we know if we are giving our students our best, and allowing them to experience the best opportunities possible if we are holding ourselves back from the change around us?

3 comments:

  1. I agree fully that we need to try new technologies in our classroom. I also agree that students need the foundational knowledge to be able to use not play with technology.

    I wonder more often if I am being effective in my "old school" teaching than I do with my technology. I guess I judge it on then much greater effort I recieve when I use technology.

    My struggle will always be to get the students to work effectively on their projects, not play with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comment Miss Fjeldstrom.
    Like it or not,technology is playing a big part in our everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must change or be left behind the students as archaic relics. Hopefully we can help both teachers and students to learn about technology effectively.

    ReplyDelete