Friday, September 04, 2009

A rant about teaching technology...

Whenever I look back on the last year, the only thing I would have done more is blogging. I feel like I have forgotten how much it meant to me, to be blogging about my successes/failures and all of the people who read about it. Well, enough of the lacking! I am promising myself some time to continue my blog and update as much as I can this school year.

Here it goes:
I am teaching a CPT 10/20/30 split class this year. I know, crazy. Even though I am in a small school and do not have a super large amount of students, it is 4 grades (9-12) all at once. It will take lots of organization, but I am up for the challenge. I have come up with quite a few of cool ideas (at least I think they are), and I will be picking groups and projects, coming up with timelines, individual activities, etc. So far, it seems to be working.

I just wish there was a way that I could get 1) my own laptop from the division so that I could install some new programs about editing/special effects for video editing for CPT, and 2 ) some time to play around on them - or get training on some new programs. There are (quite a few) times when I am behind the kids in understanding some of the technology stuff we are using in CPT. I know that this is sometimes how it is, but I would like to be a bit of an expert at times! There are times when I feel dumbfounded at some of the easiest questions and I truly do not know the answer to some of them. At least I have had retail experience in my life and know that the best way to approach a situation when you do not know what you are doing, is to tell them you do not know, but that you will find out and get back to them. I find the kids appreciate that. We feel like the journey of learning is for both of us and they don't feel "stupid" if I don't know the answer either. Of course there are always those that get frustrated when I don't know the answer as well. Those are the ones that tend to stick with me (obviously) and these are the ones that I stew about and get frustrated about after I am done my day at school.

It isn't every time I have CPT, that I get really frustrated after - only some of the time - but nonetheless, that feeling in general is not one that is pleasant or fulfilling in a school teacher sense of enjoying my job. I love technology - I really do and don't get me wrong about how I may be coming across. There are just some of those days where CPT is my nemesis and it pains me to have that class for fear of myself feeling inadequate in front of my students. I am working on ways on my own time to help improve my skills - as any responsible professional would, although the process is really quite slow and does not always show the results right away (the students never seem to ask the question I know the answer I just learned about, but only ask questions I haven't learned yet! What's that called? Murphy's law? LOL!)

Anyway, my rant is over. Back to marking. If you loyal readers out there have any comments - please comment away - I love to hear from you - it gets lonely when no one comments! :-)
Have a great long weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Some teachers in our school division including Eldon at Macklin are teaching CPT. We also have new courses at NBCHS, Cando and Maymont. I am sure these teachers would be more than willing to discuss and share strategies with you. I agree that your own laptop would really personalize the learning for you and allow you to at least keep up with the kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be the tech person. Let the students trouble shoot that as much as possible. Then let them teach each other. Use your time to teach composition and focus on the story.

    Remember, the smartest person in the room is the room. (Quoted from one of the David's at BLC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas Dona! I had already talked with Eldon about his CPT in Macklin, but might see about contacting those in the other schools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary,
    Thanks for the comment. I know it always seems so automatic to try to be the "head of the class" but you're right that it is important for the students to teach themselves and each other as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was out sick today and tried something out with my CPT class. I had done a short intro to Audacity last week. My sub had little to no computer experience so I gave the students a list of skills I wanted them to learn and pointed them to YouTube. I also gave them instructions to help each other.

    I will just have to wait and see how they fared. If it works well then I will continue doing it that way. Really this class is only partly about learning to use the tools. It is really about learning to learn (and using play to get there).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Gary!
    That sounds like a good idea. An instructions sheet for the students - and a list of things to learn. Mind sending me it? And some cool assignments? I am also looking for some Audacity assignments (since I need to do more audio projects). priscilla.fjeldstrom@gmail.com
    Thanks for your advice and help!

    ReplyDelete